Koullouna box by Marielle, Pascale (and Joseph!)

So, @mariellekhayat and I tried to stay as genuine and spontaneous as possible while getting our message across :slight_smile:
Here’s the Koullouna team video: Koullouna pitch - YouTube
Also, we’re a team of 3 but we all live in different countries so Joseph wasn’t with us for the video so we had to get creative :wink:

Looking forward to seeing all your videos

7 Likes

Obviously, we didn’t rehearse :joy:
Can’t wait to see yours!

2 Likes

nice to meet you guys! Especially Joseph… he’s a little bit shy though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Hi Koullouna team! Great intro video @mariellekhayat and @pascale … and JOSEPH! (Need to figure out how to get him on this site as well!)

And nice cinematography … very impressive. :slight_smile:

And great project. I know Koullouna is already live … can you quickly/briefly tell us a bit about the current status? How many sales have you done so far? How the kickstarter campaign went? etc?

And what is your current #1 (or top 3?) challenge(s)?

(Also, just to note … I moved your topic from the other category (PW Community Home) to this one here …)

Cheers!

1 Like

I’d love to work with you all. Lucky Joseph. Perhaps it wouldn’t be easy :stuck_out_tongue: but it def seems like it would be a lot of fun.

First I want to congratulate you on a hugely successful crowdfunding campaign.

I have no doubt a lot of that success was big validation. The wonderful thing is you moved straight into sales. I felt you maintained a customer-centric approach throughout too.

My dad is a wholesale Lebanese food product exporter so my question is how do you overcome the growing accessibility of ethnic food products around the world.

3 Likes

Waw! What a great presentation. It seems you’re a team that works hard but plays harder :wink: I like your project.

1 Like

We’ll let him know :wink:

We just launched our new website last week www.koullounabox.com and we’re sending our first 350 boxes ever this week (literally!)

These boxes were all ordered through our Indiegogo campaign that we launched back in November. It was a huge success, we reached 171% of our goal and raised +28K EUR from 350+ contributors. Majority of our orders came from France, US, UK and Dubai.

For the next few months, our marketing efforts are going to be focused on the french and european market and we’ll then expand to America.

At this moment, our main challenge is the logistics (shipping and delivery) since it’s our first month setting everything up and working with customs (yey!) so we had to postpone the delivery a few weeks.

Our next step is… SELL BOXES! That’s what we will be fully focused on. If any of you has any advice on some growth marketing tricks, please do share! We’re always looking for advice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Rami! We do have a LOT of fun, that’s the best part of having a team isn’t it?

2 Likes

Hey @Dana - I’m pretty sure that’s what Joseph initially thought: “It would be fun!”. I’m not sure what he thinks now hahaha

There’s definitely a challenge when it comes to accessibility of products which is why we try to feature in our box the latest local products as much as possible. The box is an opportunity to discover the latest innovations in Lebanon (not only food related) and more importantly, to learn the story behind these products, which is why we make sure to talk to each producer and get into the nitty-gritty details of why they do what they do :slight_smile: That’s our favorite part!

Our ultimate objective is for the local producers to reach new markets and eventually sell their products directly and of course through an online marketplace which is where we see Koullouna growing into.

On another note, would love to see if there’s a potential to work with your dad? Maybe we could collaborate on shipping and more?

3 Likes

@pascale so you’re selling th experience, not just the products.

RE: Working with my dad.

So from a shipping standpoint, he takes containers from Lebanon 3-5 times a year. He sells to Middle-Eastern retailers and restaurants. Could he be a good shipping partner? or what else did you have in mind?

2 Likes

@pascale yeah of course :wink:

1 Like

Love this project!
Congrats on the progress guys, super impressive!

Great cinematography. Very funny and genuine.

NOW! down to business. There’s “THE BOX” by No Garlic No Onions. it costs 100$/month and as far as i know it’s limited to Lebanon. They’re more expensive and are limited. BUT they do have a good online stance. So at any point they can jump into the international market.
How will you deal with that? Partner up or full on war?

Crowdfunding. That’s my thing! It’s always great to test the waters through crowdfunding campaigns and feels great when you exceed the limit.

The coffee box has:
Cafe Najjar, 2 coffee fingen and a rakwa and orange blossom.
Those are the useful products. Can’t i buy these products off the shelf? I know i can buy cafe Najjar abroad coz i found it in Taiwan.

The second box. Well, it freaking awesome. Purely customized, Lebanese to the soul and i can’t get any of these things abroad. I recommend sticking with this style.

Are both boxes the same price? Does the price include shipping to any part of the world?

@pascale I’m a cliff diving fanatic so if you’re around i’ll show you some of the best spots. are you ok with free climbing?

@mariellekhayat what’s the song that you never get sick of?

Kudos

1 Like

Hi Rabih, thank you, we tried :slight_smile:

The NGONO box is targeting a different market than ours in two ways: first, its audience is mainly in Lebanon like you mentioned and second, since the price is high, it’s not accessible to young professionals which is who we are targeting. They also stopped doing the boxes since 2016. That said, competition can arise at any point, and we believe that this is part of the journey of any startup. Our strenght is the brand that we’ve created with our audience (simple, fun, genuine, creative…) and we will continue building on that because at the end of the day this is what differentiate any company for the other. The product is important of course, but people remember how they felt more then what they’ve received. There might be an opportunity to collaborate later on with other boxes, but we haven’t gotten to that stage yet.

The coffee box was the prototype box. We try as much as possible to have new products that cannot be found in the market. There will always be 1 or 2 products that might be available in some countries, but our objective it to shed the light on those that cannot make it internationally and need to reach their audience abroad. Glad you liked the second one!! We’re revealing it today!!

All boxes are the same prices, you actually buy a subscription and have 3 plans (monthly, 3 months, 6 months). Price does not include shipping (it’s free in France and at a rate for ROW)

Cliff diving freaks me out. It’s weird. I can climb 300m high walls but put me on a cliff at 2m and I can’t. :see_no_evil:

1 Like