They tricked me!

They tricked me!
A friend called me up and said: “do you want to be a PR”.
I was like: “hell yeah I do”
So he told me to go to an interview after two hours.
I got up and googled PR.
Went to the interview. Turned out to be a printshop. I screwed up the interview but I guess they were desperate to hire anyone.
Spent 3 months there. I did everything but PRing. I printed, I delivered, I cut, I operated on machines, I installed Vinyl and Flex. Oh! Sometimes I went knocking on company’s doors because they didn’t answer my calls and I didn’t reach my monthly target.
Still I learned A LOT. Made a lot of cool connections which lead me to meet current dear friend: Wassim Ziade. He opened a new printhouse after successfully launching the BIGGEST signage company in Lebanon. Signs & Beyond. I was operating on machines and doing outdoor installations like billboards and unipoles (the first time i was terrified. Now I do it for fun). Refugogo kicked in at that time. So I decided to give it a go and because I was a lone founder I had to learn how to do my own graphics, website, paperwork, business plan, pitching, marketing. So I did. Now I’m a frontend web developer. I’m an expert in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and Premiere Pro. Also, because I entered a lot of competitions. I was asked to do video pitches. So guess who borrowed endless cameras, sound equipment and lights to do it himself. THIS GUY!
While all of this was happening. I was at NDU on a full scholarship studying mechanical engineering. That didn’t turn out to be as exciting as I expected and there was no money or even jobs in that field, Chocking I know. Engineers not making money.
So after having a lot on my plate, traveling around to exhibitions. I forgot to mention that I cofounded the Lebanese Innovators Society. Which got me a lot of free travel.
Back to the main story. I dropped out! But Refugogo failed. So now no uni, no Refugogo. I had to go back to my normal day time job. The first Printshop that gave me my first job opened its arms and welcomed me back in. But this time without a salary. Just a commission. Me being exposed to the power of the internet and the startup eco system in Lebanon. I suggested that we go online. That’s when Fazlaket was born. They (60ish old owner) didn’t like the name, thought it was too childish, too unprofessional. So like my true nature I continued on my own and developed the design editor you can see on fazlaket.com . 3 investors ( huge names in the Lebanese printing industry )came to the table. They saw my 107 page business plan. Called me a “Raqassa” and left the room. All they saw was a 22 year old kid holding the key to something they thought it could never be done. Online Printing.

4 Likes

@Dana told you it was a long story. I forgot to mention that I thought Taekwondo the whole time at Lycee Verdun and wellspring in addition to summer camps and private classes.
Oh and I gave Brazilian Jiu Jitsu classes for a year and a half then after my 5th dislocated shoulder I called it quits.

1 Like

Waw … I like how you came up with the idea and your job experience is inspiring. Good luck :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Nothing but love. Thank you!

Quite a story and set of learning experiences!!

Look forward to seeing all the strengths of those learnings in this current startup effort. :slight_smile: … and in your feedback for other startups in this community.

Cheers @rabih!

Keep on, keeping on. You clearly have an inner spark waiting to light something up!

It is long and yet, not boring. I have heard you pitch Refugogo before. I recall you receiving such positive feedback from judges and mentors. Why do you think it failed?

Refugogo failed because of 2 reasons:

1. Refugogo needed a $400k capital to be eligible to operate in Lebanon. those are the Central Market Authority’s (CMA) rules and regulations. I tried to get a Crowdfunding license from the UK but the deadline was closed and the submissions will re-open in the end of 2018. Never the less it would have costed around 80k Pounds. Money i didn’t have at the moment.

2.It was such a huge burden to lift alone. I admit that i have lied about having a complete and coherent team. I was doing everything alone. Developement, Graphic, Pitching, PR. You name it, i’ve done it. Investors weren’t interested in a one man show so i had to fake it. In the end i cracked under the pressure.

Now, i’ve put together a real awesome team. An expert in Web/App development @ahamandi. A best friend/graphic designer/printing expert @wassimziade. Last but not least my dear sister @hiba.naja, graphic designer and personalised gifts expert.

We learn from our mistakes.

1 Like

Thanks so much for sharing this with us. Great reflections. I think you hit some key areas for learning.