Tips for Giving and Receiving Feedback

Today we get to see the inner workings of all of the BAE cohort’s projects. Your feedback is a gift you are offering to the other teams, and at the same time while giving feedback you are receiving by getting glimpses into learnings that you can possibly apply to your own project (and life). Let’s work to be honest, positive, and constructive in the feedback we offer each other, even (especially) when we are suggesting areas for improvement. In your feedback, we suggest highlighting both areas that you liked, and areas where you suggest improvement.

For the people receiving feedback, keep in mind that you are receiving a gift and that we are here to help each other. Let’s all work on helping each other see our truths so we know where we stand and where we can grow.

Giving and receiving feedback is one of the most important skills we can learn. Let’s practice generous giving and receiving today.

Do you have other tips and ideas for how best to give and receive feedback? Please share with us here.

3 Likes

Great tips.

I think it’s difficult to not defend yourself the moment you receive constructive feedback but the fact that there is a ‘need to defend’ is in itself feedback. Take that at face value and accept it as a way to be more clear. Keep in mind when you defend yourself that you’re likely impeding your listening.

2 Likes

@bae-explorers I’m really excited about watching all your pitches and sharing my feedback. Keep in mind, the best sort of feedback is…

A LOT OF FEEDBACK (just ask statistics). Here are some questions you can ask to help frame the feedback you give to your fellow explorers.

Regarding Communication:

• Do you understand what problem is being solved?
  • Do you understand the solution? If not, what is it that is missing from the explanation?
  • Did the presenter leave an impression. Explain.
  • What’s one thing the presenter can work on?
  • Was it coherent, understandable, short and clear?

Regarding the Product/Service:

• Do you have this problem?
  • How are you currently solving it?
  • What is the alternative solution?
  • How often?
  • What is it costing you?
  • What’s missing from the alternative solution?

What sort of feedback would you like to hear.

2 Likes

I think that when defending himself, one should not be defensive

2 Likes

Hi @Remi, could you elaborate on that a bit? What you mean by defensive, and how one can “defend” oneself while not being “defensive”?

Thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Very helpful.

2 Likes

Hello @DMN. I think that, under certain circumstances or situations, defending oneself would be justified. But it all depends on how we communicate with the other party when defending ourselves. We can stay calm and use ideas, arguments and evidence to convince the other person with our point of view. Or… we can chose to be defensive and in attack mode; in this case, we are more concerned with self-protection than effecting a connection with the other person, which leads to distancing between the parties.

1 Like