Tips for the video and pitch for Saturday 4pm!

Hello BAE teams!

During the Bootcamp Anywhere Edition we will be doing three things every week:

1. Making progress on our projects.
  2. Presenting with clarity the progress we’ve made.
  3. Reflecting on what we’ve learned and designing ways to do it better.

Your assignment for this Saturday will start this loop off. We’re asking all teams to make a SUPER SIMPLE and SHORT video and share it in this category by 4pm on Saturday! The intro video should include:

• A one minute pitch about your project,
  • Followed by a one minute introduction of yourself and team (if you have one).

You may want to start working on this video today or tomorrow, although it should also be possible to create and post a great video all on Saturday. To help you create a great video here are some simple tips and quotes:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

• Present the fundamental essence of your project. Let the details be answered through the questions you inspire.
  • Use the frame of Problem, Solution, Customer, Market to guide your pitch.
  • Keep it under two minutes (approx 1 minute for the startup pitch, and 1 minute to introduce your team).
  • During the team introduction, here are some guiding questions:
    1. Who does what?
    2. What do you do best?
    3. What kind of work makes you come alive?
    4. Something personal/unique about each team member.

How to make a video?

We’re not asking for anything professional, and with no editing is best! You don’t need a professional video camera or microphone setup, a smart phone or your computer is certainly good enough. We want to see you! Use what you know!

Here are some tips to keep in mind:

1. Lighting helps, find a big window and make sure the light source is behind the camera.
  2. Get close to the microphone, we want to be sure everyone can hear you.
  3. If you don’t know where to begin. Start recording and speak. You can always re-record and delete.
  4. Feel free to record from your phone!

Once your done making the video

Once you’re done, upload it to Youtube and save it as an unlisted video.
To embed it all you need is your video’s URL and including it in the post on the Pitchworthy Community topic you create in the BAE-Day1 Category.

Have fun and feel free to ask us if you have any questions!

+BG

@DMN Cool! We’re on it! Since Joseph is with us, we’re going to try to speak for him :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sorry for this question but does the video necessarily be in English?

2 Likes

This is a great question @fadi.hasrouni. It will depend on your project and to whom you intend to convince and if they speak Arabic. I think the preference is english although it’s something to think about for you. Who will need to hear your pitch?
Do any of the other @bae-cohortleaders have any ideas?
+BG

1 Like

I completely agree @bilal

@fadi.hasrouni do you prefer to do it in Arabic, if so, is there a reason?

1 Like

There is no reason i was just checking and i’ll do it in English of course guys Thanks you.

1 Like

Hi @fadi.hasrouni, nice question. Both are fine by me, my main question would be what would be the most helpful for you in terms of becoming a great communicator as relates to your startup. If your main first and most important clients/partners/etc would be more comfortable in Arabic, then go for Arabic. If English, then go for English.

It just so happens that even in the Middle East most startup events are primarily in English, and most startup investment activities, workshops, etc are in English, so it’s good to make sure that people get really comfortable explaining and pitching their startup in English.

We can get into an ethical/cultural discussion about that at some point, and can think of how we want to encourage more Arabic content and events/workshops/etc in Arabic … but in the meanwhile, we’re try to help our teams be as amazing as possible within the context that we live in. :slight_smile:

You can also alternate between the two over the course of the coming weeks… do this video in English, next week in Arabic, and practice in both!

Cheers.

2 Likes

@DMN Thanks you for this answer and i really appreciate and like your idea :+1:

3 Likes